10 September 2008

Psht

I'm a little bit annoyed today. I want to know whether you guys ever experience the same thing. It would be the second time, something like this has happened.


When I bought my car (at 19), I went with my Padre. This is standard procedure because, with the extra 20 or so years, he knows just a little bit more than I do.

For some reason, salesmen assume that Padre is BUYING the car for me, so they sell HIM the car.

No. Not on. My money. My car. My purchase. Talk to Me.

So yesterday, my Big Little Brother and I went to the little apartment we'd been looking at. We wanted to buy it. Big decision right? Huge... no. HUGE responsibility.

First time ever doing something like this, so of course, Padre comes along to do our negotiating. That's fair is it not?

Padre did most of the talking. We don't want to be taken for a ride, of course. But it was BLB and I that had spoken to our broker, and it was our money. So when I give in my two cents about our situation, this is what we can afford, this is guaranteed, we've done our own research...blah, blah, blah.

The Real Estate Agent's reaction?

He laughed. Not exaggerating, not being silly. He laughed. Out loud.

WTF!? Who laughs at a 20 and 18 year old making THE biggest purchase of their lives?

7 comments:

Maxie said...

Some people can just be inconsiderate. The salesman is probably just jealous that you're even in the position to do that at your age.

Writing Backwards said...

If it happens again at another place, just walk out. Real Estate Agents need to learn some respect.

Wendy Juniper said...

OMG I've had this before too. I'm 28, a girl, iperhaps look younger than I am, but when I bought my car, I got the same treatment. They looked to my dad when speaking. He was just there to help me choose, I can do the negotiations about money myself. Unbelievable in 2008. Not so bad when I bought my house, I think because I had a lady mortgage broker, but even now, having owned it for 3 years, people assume my dad is paying for it! My boyfriend's uncle is the worst. He seems to think all women need to be 'kept'! His wife is like that, I guess that's why, but I work for a living, and have a housemate to help pay the mortgage.

So offensive.

Kez said...

Ugh. People can be so ignorant!
I'm 24 and married and living in my own house and just because I accompany my mum to a shop and she uses her credit card and makes a joke about it, I get the look and bad joke about it being me that's drained my mum's finances!!!!
I think unfortunately it's a female thing too. I think people expect us to not know anything or be interested in cars and stuff. Sucks huh.
You'll show them!!!!
:)

Richel said...

some people just really dont get it. i hate when people discriminate based on age. just because i'm young, doesn't mean i need someone to take care of me.

Kristina said...

You just have to ignore such people. There are a lot of those out there that will... hm, let's say look down on you even in 20 years, not just because of your age, not just because you're a woman, but because they're complete and utter asses. You can't show them that the car, the apartment, anything in the world, is financed by you, they'll always learn to 'adults' which is fine in a way, but very wrong in another. I had similar things happen to me, I hate that shit.

Romany said...

Are you Italian( just out of curiosity)? I have an italian friend and she says father as "padre" too. Lol.
Oh and about the blue eyeshadow during the day:
keep it as light as possible. Make sure that it doesn't cover the entire lid, but simply a strip of blue right at the beginning of the lid on the top and bottom. It's all about subtlety. It's difficult to master (I, myself, am yet to do so perfectly lol), but once you do, it's a beautiful look.
Hope that helps! :)
Romany
xx