=Warning : Rant Post=
After a recent fellow tweeter commented his distate for my home city (Perth, WA) rather violently, I decided to take a mini-unofficial-poll on what other people thought of it too.
Pretty much all the people who responded were under 30 and single. The responses were mixed. They liked it, or they REALLY didn't. No one REALLY liked it though. Initially, I was going to compare Perth to third world countries because when you do, we have it pretty DAMN good, but that's not going to prove a point.
Don't get me wrong, the aim of this post isn't to prove a point more to challenge those people to find the good in where they live. We might be a little behind the rest of the country, but we're not LIKE the rest of the country. We have our own history, our own rules, a state that could encompass most of the others, we have lessons we need to learn and a city like no other. Yes, we're kinda old and we're so resistant to change it's frustrating. Keep in mind we have an aging population, so the balance lies in their favour. If this is how they've always done it & they're given a choice of change...If they don't want to, it's highly likely they won't have to! It's politics.
The other thing is the sheer SIZE of us! Our southern towns get rain most of the year and snow in the mountains/hills during winter. Our northern most towns are about 30 degrees all year round and get cyclones. We have a desert in our centre and a beautiful, colourful coastline. Unforunately for the "Perth-ites" this means that any Daylight Savings have to take into consideration the entire state. We can't have DST JUST for Perth, be realistic. So no, we can't be like Melbourne & Sydney because they're not the same SIZE as us.They operate different to us, have a different population and state make up. Get used to it. In 5-10 years it will be different.
If you don't like it? LEAVE. But for goodness sake quit bitching and learn to live with it.
/rant.
Thank you
Love
9 comments:
I hear you, Liv!
I love this state as much as I have several criticisms for it.
Just as I feel about our great nation! I'm as patriotic as all get out, but I'm also aware of the flaws of Australia.
besides, we can always make fun of Tasmanians...no-one can take that from us! Kidding...kidding...
I love WA and we have some amazing exports when it comes to music, the arts, etc. It's just a pity that they end up having to leave to make it!
Ha Ha Kez, I was just going to sympathise with your Perthites about how us Tasmanians always cop the same criticisms from "mainlanders" and tasmanians who have moved away! I moved away and guess where I am now, back in Tassie! I think I will have to move away for work in the next year but I will always come back and appreciate what this little state has that every other state lacks.
And I agree with you Kez, I have as many criticisms about my state and country as I do love for it.
Onya Liv. I am pro DLS but I think people should just move on now. Cos with or without it, the sun still rises over the hills and sets on the Blue Indian, every day and spectacularly, on this big backyard of ours.. WA.
oh thank you for loving where you live. Thank you!!! That's exactly how I feel about people bitching about Cairo!! If you don't like it, LEAVE!
I can't imagine living anywhere but Perth. People are always talking up Melb or Sydney as being better, but until you've lived there you can't really comment because every where has good & bad points.
I don't think we have it all that bad in Perth.
I dislike how some people say "If you don't like the fact that Perth has no Daylight Savings, then get the fuck out", as if that is the only factor in deciding whether to live in Perth or not. What annoys me about these responses is that, despite the 3-year trial, there was no major protest or lamentation about daylight savings. Yet, now that DST has been canned, those who voted against it feel entitled to mount their high horses and proclaim that those who disagree can just fuck off, without the need for any real debate or understanding.
There is no clearly overwhelming advantage to having DST in WA, which is probably why it was put to a referendum anyway. I personally liked the 3-year trial, despite having lived most of my life without DST, and initially disliking the idea of having to fiddle with clocks. Once the trial started, I loved the fact that the sun was still up in the sky after getting home from work. :)
p.s. Even Brazil's central west region has DST, despite stretching closer to the equator than WA's northmost point.
I've found that often (but not always) when people dislike a place it's because of the people there. Complaining about others lets off a little steam, but does not change a thing. I think it's best to try to understand other people's point of view, try to affect change, or surround yourself with a different group of people. Translation: learn to love it, try to change it, or find a place better suited to you. Nobody likes a Negative Nancy.
Bambola you rock. Hard.
Damn, I didn't get to vote :(
I REALLY like Perth.
There, I said it. I can't think of a place I rather live (even Denmark - town not country - as it's too far away).
I love the state and (mostly) the people in it.
I think a fair few of those who complain are people who can see the potential here but are frustrated with the impediments placed in front of those wishing to do something.
There have been new venues and places springing up and these should be applauded and supported by those in power.
Post a Comment