Uni - travel - work - settle? Uni takes up the five years? Travel - work? Settle - raise a family? You're taking each day as it comes?
Cuileann recently did a post on the "Things I Want to Do Before I Die". A list of 20 different items she would like to do, experience or accomplish during her life. This is such a good idea & a great exercise for all of us.
It's so easy to get caught up in now. People everywhere tell you to live for the moment, this moment is your life, but in reality, is that the best way to live? What about tomorrow? What are you working towards? Have you ever sat down & thought about it?

The thing is, once you decide where you want to be, you can start working towards getting there.
I'll use myself as an example. In 5 years time I would like to have worked in the UK for at least a couple of years, have moved or be moving to Melbourne & be in a happy relationship, if not engaged (no pressure).
Now if I leave it at that and don't do anything proactive then the chances are I probably won't get there in the next five years, heck, I probably wouldn't get there in the next 10. Thankfully, I have little more determination than to let that happen.
Once you've defined what you want, you need to work out your plan. Figure out what you need to start doing now to make sure that by the end of the 5 years, you can be exactly where you want to be. Qualifications? Work? Savings? House?
You can go into as much detail as you like, or it can be high level, annual accomplishments that you're working towards. What will you complete? What will you start? What will you acquire? What will you sell?
I'm going to work on mine this week and report back next week. Will you work on yours? Or have you already done something similar?
Remember what they used to say in school? If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

This is your life, do you really want to risk that?
Bambola x
11 comments:
It's something that I've been working on for the last little while, but you've encouraged me to put it down on paper (or at least computer screen). Thanks!
funny thing i have been doing this as my project for high school
what would i do with my life.
but i Do need to figure out my details and specifics.
ure so totally right.
see, i use to adopt this mentality. however i've chosen to abandon it. i've come to understand that if we take care of the little things in life then the rest will take care of itself. thats not to say that i don't have hopes and dreams for the future. i mean, i still work towards things.
but i just find society is constantly focused about the future these days. we consistently hear politicians talkin' of the future and what they hope to achieve. personally i believe we need a man of the moment. society is slowly grownin' tierd of future thinkin' because change is constant.
again if we just take hold of the little things then the rest will mould into a mountain of success.
i hope some of this makes sense, lol. and i apologize for the lenghty comment. you just got me thinkin, thats all... (:
I have no idea what I want to do with my life..I find it(my life,future, etc.) scary to think about...
I have one that I sometimes add to, I told mermaid I would upload it since she too did a post on it a while back but time got away from me so I'll post it tomorrow.
ohh you can talk about other than clothing too lol...
I love it....nice inspiring words.
Weird I was just having a conversation about this with someone this morning. I am like you in the fact that I need great things and goals to work toward. (flat overseas for the summers to work etc) that is my current goal and I agree that 5 year plans should always be in place.
But a few of the people I talk to are just that, in the moment and have no plans at all. I cannot imagine that. I am to much of a dreamer, I need that driving force.
Great post !!
Nice post!
However I do agree in part with some of what Scott has to say also.
I like to plan, but have some flexibility attached so you can allow other opportunities to do crop up to appear or else you can completely miss out on these as well.
I think New Years Eve is always a good time to have these plans set out for your next year. And I like to have Short, Medium and Long Term Plans with little mini ones thrown in along the way.
Good luck :D
Great post :)
I'm a dreamer and therefore a planner. I dream about how I want things to be and then plan for them to happen that way. Which is usually not very realistic. However, I dreamed of going overseas for a year after highschool-and I did; it wasn't how I had planned/dreamed it, but I am very glad I did it. Ýou know that now I'm dreaming of Spain, but I'm trying not to have any expectations. I think it will work; I have planned to the greatest extent that I can, but I have to accept that I can't plan everything..even if it is a little scary walking into an unknown future.
Ideally, in 5 years time I would like to be fluent in Spanish after living there 2 or 3 years; learning Italian or French; and possibly be in my first year of Masters in Edinburgh. Maybe by the end of this 5 years I would like to have met a guy who I could consider having children with in the next 5. Ah! no! you've got me started on my favourite topic, I could go on dreaming..planning..forever.
your 5 year plan scares me & it's not even mine!
i don't like planning that far ahead- a year or two is the most i ever think ahead, mostly because it scares me. i feel much better career-thinking-wise now that i've changed where i'm going, but in terms of relationships etc, i have no plans (except maybe to be in one + happy!).
as for moving, i would love to do it one day but i know i never will while my nonna is still alive, so thinking about doing it is kind of bittersweet.. not to mention that i don't think i could move anywhere if my sister didn't come too.
but i definitely admire you for knowing exactly what you want & being brave enough to go for it & strong enough to do what needs to be done in order to get there.
(see, this is why it took me so long to comment.. i had to have time to write my essay!)
Hello, I read this a few weeks ago and I loved what you wrote and the other day I actually wrote my 5 year plan.. there is a few gaps but it is more clearer than it was before so basically, thank you for this post! Also, I really like your blog in general so thanks for that too xo
Post a Comment