16 October 2009

Old is the New Black

I'm not sure if you've given it any thought but I'm sure you've noticed the inundation of "vintage" in all the design, style, fashion, photography worlds. It's everywhere these days.

The latest craze is handwritten letters, packages in the mail, op shopped clothes. They're bringing Polaroid back, and everyone is getting a Diana or a Holga. Etsy and eBay have vintage telephones, luggage, typewriters... The list is almost endless.

It's as though the latest runway fashions aren't even IN fashion. Sure people will still buy the latest craze stuff, but the importance of it isn't there. I think that of two people in a room, one in the latest fashions and one in vintage, the one in vintage would be getting a lot more interest. But that's just me, I could be wrong.

Vintage pieces are conversation starters. "Where did you get that?" 'Oh, this old thing...' Where as if you see someone wearing the 'up to date' fashions, you could probably tell where they got the outfit. It becomes blatantly obvious in the crowds of people. A large majority are wearing a cloned outfit of the person next to them, maybe the colours are different, or they're wearing more (or less) but they all look the same.



Want to know what I think it is? (the answer here is 'yes')

Technology is progressing so far forwards at a rate I don't think we can even begin to comprehend. Hightech tools and toys are the everywhere, and everything is instant. If we have to wait ten seconds for a web page to load it's WAY too slow to even bother being on the net. Instant and high tech has become the new 'normal'. A lot of people, I believe, are realising how much has changed over such a short amount of time and they don't like it, so they're rebelling.



So in an instant world, what do you do to slow down, to reverse the effects of the last 20-30 years?

You go vintage.

Vintage clothes are made better because the technology to mass produce fabrics and garments hadn't been developed. Not only have the clothes actually lasted this long, the style is in fashion again. Like the tux jacket with the rolled up sleeves at the store for $100+, when really, you could raid your dad's/brother's cloest and probably find something that would do the job, wouldn't cost you anything & would be far more unique. Or the bodycon dresses that kinda all look the same and everyone owns. Opshop one & DIY it. It takes time, but at least in a crowd where everyone looks the same, you'll be the one that stands out.



Then there's the typewriters that force you to take time to write that letter, recording the mistakes and all, then physically send it to someone you care about. That takes time, it requires you to go out of your way, but when they get the letter, they know you took the time to write. Sure you could email, but be honest, it's not quite the same.

Even the vintage telephone that requires you to use moving parts rather than speed dial someone in your phone book. The other person wouldn't know, but the uniqueness of having it in your home is comfort enough. It would be for me anyway!





Dianas & polaroids don't give you a second chance to take a photo because you won't know until you develoip the film that the first photo didn't work. There is perfection in the imperfections. On my upcoming holiday I shall be taking our digital camera, our film camera and I'll be buying disposables as well. Why? Because I don't want to spend 5 minutes trying to get the "perfect" photo. I want to be snap happy and have the fun of looking through the developed pictures when I get home. Digital cameras are great, no doubt, but you never develop all the photos you took with it.




Vintage requires effort. It requires an appreciation. It requires time. It requires you to think about your purchases and what you do with them afterwards. Buying something old & updating it so it's appropriate for today is all part of the process. Taking the time to write a letter can say more about you than an email would. Having the vintage luggage means you know exactly which one's yours at the air port. Having a vintage telephone in your home creates a style and sets you apart. Having a vintage wardrobe means you're not as easily influenced by what the fashion world says you should wear. 

Don't you think?



15 comments:

Kez said...

I agree wholeheartedly :)

beverley said...

I absolutely loved this and agree with everything!

Heidi Garvin said...

I agree! Also, some of us are too poor to afford new clothes. :-) I'm thrift store shopping, mending, and repairing what I can. In America, HALF of all us recent college grads can't find employment. That's a lot of strapped for cash 20 somethings. Speaking of vintage, old school, and handmade items...I'm planning on making prizes and party favors for my friends bridal shower in a little over a month. I'm definitely whipping up a batch of homemade soap, but you have so many adorable ideas I thought I'd seek out your opinion! Hit me up at tumblr/twitter/or email (writerheidi@gmail.com) Thanks you!

Athena. said...

Oh, this is so true!
I adore vintage clothes, and rings and such.
I have an infatuations with polaroids; they're so simple and appreciated more than those taken by digital cameras, I think, personally.
xx

Jaz said...

Oooh, I agree. My Nonna still has dresses from the 60s-70s in pristine condition, it's insane!

Camelgirl said...

D'accordo.

Agreed!

True true true.

I much prefer snail mail to e-mails and I would die for a polaroid and/or typewriter!

The Snarky Narwhal said...

It's true but I think vintage has always been interesting. At least I always found my grandmother's trinkets magical. My family use to have a typewriter but we ended up selling it I wish we hadn't.

G Tauberge said...

I know what you mean! I feel like vintage clothing just has more depth and meaning, and it's so much more personal.

great post!

Abby said...

yeahh we were just talking about this the other night at a family dinner. great post.

I totally think that what is fashion on the runways etc is no where near as fashion as vintage these days.

and the whole camera thing, its def better to have just random happy snaps with all the imperfections, the best photos are always taken that way I find.
I do the same thing when I draw a picture, more often than not I will just dive in with ink and work like that, and the imperfections make it more exciting, or end up taking you in a completely different direction.

i've talked tooo much

xx

Chlo said...

i think you just made me jizz.

i agreed with everything you just said, but the annoying fact is that nobody wants to sell these vintage things everywhere except on the internet... T___________________T

i hate buying things on the internet, because you know as they are old, most people like to sell you stuff that doesnt work! ahhh

x

Sham said...

I like your train of thought there, Bambola..

Jennifer said...

I love all my vintage things & pretty much everything you've posted about I have those items :)

I believe to love these things you must have a lot of passion for them because they're just so hard to find these days hence everything is so high tech nowadays. If you've got it it means you've long searched for it.

But the strange thing is that I don't actually try too hard on some of the things I wanted to find that was vintage(maybe a vintage telephone has been the hardest for me to find) but other than that I've found my loved items pretty easily.

I think it's true how you quoted about vintage being more effort put into it unlike technology these days everything is done easily for us and were all lazy. I miss how even type writers were more effort & film cameras are more special because you interact with it more than digital. Very lovely post & it made me smile!

Wrecked said...

Loved reading this post! Thanks for this- I totally agree that technology is moving so fast that we don't appreciate the old school things. Remember when we used to use hard cover dictionaries?! Now I just go on dictionary.com! Hope you have a great week ahead!!

x ws x

Wrecked Stellar said...

oops I accidentally hit enter before I got to finish entering my info! it's me :)

The Jodi(e)s said...

Very insightful and well-written!
i agree with a lot of the things you say and am a total vintageophile because of pretty much every reason you've listed!
Especially a fan of vintage cameras - film's just better!
Love&light!