08 October 2009

Lovers' Diary - Zmaga

Being in a relationship is a peculiar thing. We all want to love and be loved. But having someone special means you might have to give up other significant others.
My question is: how to save friends when you are in a relationship?

Now, I don't mean you lose friends when you have a boyfriend/girlfriend. But it’s a fact that you spend less time with them and that the odds of you becoming distant are bigger. I am talking about boy-girl friendships here, but pure, honest friendships, no hidden feelings.

I have a friend. We’ve known each other for less than a year, but we clicked and are good pals. At least we were. He has a girlfriend now. Don’t get me wrong, I’m good friends with her, as a matter of fact, nothing changed between us. But with him on the other hand… It’s not like we are in a fight, it’s not even like we don’t trust each other (for example that I can’t tell him something because I think he’ll tell her), it’s just the lack of communication. We talk, but not as much. At first I thought: well, he has a girlfriend for that now. But the two of them were friends before and he still told me stuff. I know nothing rational is wrong between us, so I am completely bemused.


I have another friend, we've known each other forever. He had a girlfriend (they broke up, but that’s not the point), and while they were together, everything was about her. His whole life revolved around going out with her, not to mention his schedule. He was in love, I get that, but shouldn’t people have a life outside the couple? I am not experienced, so I can’t say how I’ll behave, but I would like to think that I would be able to stay the same person, always there for her friends, boyfriendless or not. The aforementioned friends are still there for me in theory, but I don’t feel like I can count on them as much as I could when they are single.
I am the third person in their lives now.

Zmaga x

6 comments:

YAM said...

well, that's the sad fact.


but i dont think being in a relationship should ruin any friendship.

but we cant blame those friends..
things just change,
and sadly,
we cant do anything about it.

Sab said...

Aw I love Zmaga <3

She's so lovely.

I feel like this sometimes. Espically when my friend gets a new boyfriend. I feel... Like a third wheel.

=\

xoxo
sanchezz

D. said...

Oh dear, that's me!!! :D Thanks for publishing this :)

Athena. said...

Awww, Zmaga you are so lovely!
It's awfully sad, and usually true ):
x

Unknown said...

Lol. Wait until you have kids.

Kat said...

i love the blog! such great photos :)
if you have time would you look at mine?
http://shelovesvelvet.blogspot.com/
thanks and keep it up!
x