The current album is by The Whitest Boy Alive & it's called "Rules". Erland Oye (the vocalist) was giving his spiel about the album this morning.
I can't remember the exact words but his gist was the following.
Rules we make for ourselves are our personal challenge. We live within those rules until we are no longer able to & we break them. Then we go about setting new rules for ourselves, for us to live within & break when the time comes. Life is about this process. About making rules, about challening ourselves to live within them, about breaking them, about recreating them.

We've all been there. We say "I'll never do drugs", "I'll never smoke", & we live like that. Not doing drugs, not smoking, not doing the things we don't want to do.
But we grow up & we leave the person we were to become the person we are. Depending on what you value will determine how long you take to break those rules you'd set before.
We don't need to feel bad for breaking them because we're not that same person any more.
I said, no drugs, no smoking, I'll never get that drunk again... & yet?
I've done all those things. That doesn't make me a bad person... a bit stupid maybe, but I made the decisions that took me there & I've accepted it & moved on.
Sometimes we try so hard to hold on to the old rules that we don't grow up, we don't experience, we don't change. We beat ourselves up because we can't live up to the us of 5 years ago.
It's ok. Rules are made to be broken. There is more truth in that than you realise.
What rules did you set for yourself? Have you broken them? Have you created new ones?
Bambola x
6 comments:
I really like this post. I want to write something, but I can't find the right words to express it.
i'm definitely all about breaking rules and boundaries. it can be a bad thing when you break someone else's rules... but i agree with you on the personal ones. we set them knowing full well that they will be broken. we evolve and our rules for ourselves evovle too. there is one rule i try to stow away forever though, and that is to be the best person i can be. this was wonderful, and that little cartoon made me giggle! xD
To never smoke a cigarette and to get married by the time I'm 21 lol... I am 21 and 6 months (exactly) today
when i was 16 i thought tattoos were ugly, especially tattoos on women's arms. i was like, 'i would never get a tattoo, especially not on my arms!'
LOL. 8 years and a full sleeve later...
I never looked at it that way... but you're right. Rules are meant to be broken...by the very people who made them. But not all rules, I think.
I was listening to that interview on the way to yoga. He was cool.
I have broken all my rules. Now I don't bother to make any.
Post a Comment