08 September 2009

Question Time

Knowing what you know now, what would you tell your 10 year old self?

The same question, but what would you tell your 30/40 year old self? (How ever many years that is in the future.) What has happened so far that you really hope they remember?

To my ten year old self, I would say.

It's going to be ok. You will move home again, and life will be tough for a little while, but when you get bigger, things will start turning in your favour. Just be patient. You will be loved.

To my future self, I would say

Don't forget where you came from. Don't forget where you started. You had it tough and life got easier, that wasn't an excuse to stop working for what you want. No one is going to hand it to you on a silver platter. You know you can do what ever you like, so go for it. Remember where you started. You've been at the bottom of the pile and you've been treated like shit. Don't do it to anyone else.


13 comments:

Sara said...

How inspiring can you get, really?
What you wrote is such an inspiration! I love it!

Kez said...

Great post idea :)

I would tell my 10 year old self: Don't worry. Your friends are real and they care about you. Chill out. You deserve to be in their company. Don't feel like an imposter just because you ate alone in year 1. They may be the most popular girls in school but who says you aren't worthy? I know you look different and you feel shy and unsure, but one day those different looks are what will get you positive attention. Your differences will make you stronger.
You're so funny and smart and you shouldn't waste your time feeling ugly or like you don't deserve your friends. Trust me, they're true friends and one day you'll realise you're all equal and amazing and you will share many more memories together. you will one day be the first to get married and they'll be in your wedding party while you marry the man of your dreams!
All that worry about 'popularity' won't even be an issue. Trust me :)

To the 30-40 year old me:
be happy with how far you've come. You've dealt with a lot in your life and you've worked so hard on improving yourself as a person. Be proud and remember that no matter how old you are, life is to be celebrated every day and you should never think that your learning or growing is done. You're in the prime of your life. Enjoy it!

Ooh, that was fun.

D. said...

To a 10 year old:
"Don't worry so much. It will be different, it will be better, sooner than you think. Sit back and enjoy the ride."
To a future self:
"Don't forget to consult your heart. Remember how silly you get when you're in love and let yourself get that silly again. Don't be agraid, you're able to do whatever you want."

The Snarky Narwhal said...

I'm not sure what I would tell my future self but my 10 year old self... I would say "You're not going to hurt the one you love" I spent many years believing that.

the notebook doodles said...

oh wow. that is an interesting thought! thanks :p

Anonymous said...

To my ten year old self I would say: Accept the fact that you're always going to be that little bit different. I know that kids aren't very accepting of people who aren't the same as them, but some day you will meet people who love you for you!

To my 30/40 year old self I would say: Man, you really shouldn't have complained about your face back in your youth cos have you SEEN the state of you now!!!!!!????

=D

Okie said...

Great writing exercise. I'll have to think about it.

I did (for an adolescent lit class) write a letter to my teenage self once. I can't remember how it turned out, but I do remember not being satisfied with it.

I like your advice to self. Very nice.

Claudine said...

To my 10 year old self, I would say... Don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy your childood because that's one of the best chapter of your life.

To my 40 year old self, hopefully I can say.. look how far you've come!

Anyway, I love this post... inspiring!

Charlotte Drene said...

Good advice, to both the younger and older self!

Athena. said...

This is so inspiring, I totally agree with Sara.
And it is a great post idea,
I'll have to think long and hard about what I'd tell my 10 year old self, and what I'd tell my 30.40 year old self.

Love!
x

Unknown said...

the next two years will be awesome. don't be afraid of girls. when you turn 13 life will be horrible, but you need to ignore the bad things and bury yourself in homework. You really need to focus on study and forget where you are.

to me in 10 years? nothing. i'd rather he told me that everything will be okay. And to look back on these years now as some of the best ever.

Geek Girl said...

Always such thought provoking questions! I love your advice

Holly said...

My ten-year-old self: You know those cool things that you don't feel like doing? Do them. And when you feel like you're never going to change, like you'll keep screwing the same things up and having the same regrets, it's nothing more than a feeling.

To me at thirty or forty: I hope you are still having a wonderful time being yourself and bringing your life into line with your ideals. Don't fall out of contact with those college friends I'm writing to.