I actually had to do some research to answer these questions. Oh, and just in case you didn't know, Bambola, isn't my name. My name is Olivia.
Do you know what your name means?
I knew what I'd been brought up to believe it meant, and apparently, there are few variations, the most entertaining of which being "Elf army". I'm going to think that's cool, cause I have my own little army of elves.
However! My name actually means "peace - of the olive tree". Does everyone know the "Noah & the Ark" story? To briefly recap, after the Earth had flooded and the skies had cleared, Noah let a dove fly free to see if there was land for them to find. The first time, the dove came back with nothing. The second time it was released, it returned with an olive branch in it's mouth. It was God's way of letting them know it was all over. It was his peace offering. Regardless of whether you believe the Bible, or you are religious, the dove and the olive branch are still a sign of peace. That symbol, is what my name means. I've always wanted a tattoo symbolising that, but have struggled to find a suitable one. Until I found the one below. I have fair skin so I think a white tattoo, maybe with a coloured shading or some such fanciness will work quite well.
Do you know why your parents picked that name?
According to my mum, she had a friend around when I was born that had a daughter called Olivia. This daughter embodied what my mum thought a daughter should be, and thought the name was really pretty. Of course Olivia Newton-John was fairly popular at the time too.
Do you like it?
I love it! Olivia is becoming a popular name. It is no longer uncommon and strange. Growing up, I never met one other person called Olivia, and I got teased a lot (Olive, Olive oil... you know how kids are). Because it's still not a widely used name, people will still make comments about it, but they're the good ones. Even if they didn't say anything, I'd still love my name. It's unique, it's meaning is simple but beautiful and it's just plain cool.

8 comments:
My nanna's name was Olive. For that same reason =]
Olivia's a prettyprettypretty name, it reminds me of sparkling water, I don't know why aha :)
+ white ink tattoos seem so elegant.
x
it's beautiful the tattoo and your name.
the tattoo reminds me more of a supernatural scar than a tattoo. I love it!
That's a beautiful meaning, I think I too would like my name to mean army of faeries hehehe
What a lovely meaning
I too love the name Olivia ...and I love that white tattoo. I'm pondering a light colored one myself ;)
Olivia is such a pretty name! I can't help but picture Olivia Newton-John!
Aw I wish my name was less boring!
Your name is lovely!
Post a Comment