20 July 2009

How Did I Get Here?

This is how I’ve been feeling lately.



Tonight I am going to my house so a real estate agent can look through it, tell me how much it will rent for and we’ll both sign an agreement that makes them some money & gives me a tenant.

I knew when I bought the place I would be renting it out. It has come around so fast.

Today, I stopped to think about what I’d done in the past 6 months. I’ve torn up carpets, pulled apart furniture, and spent hundreds on weird contraptions getting the floors back to bare concrete. I spent my weekends moving furniture and painting trims. I spent week nights painting walls and stressing. I found plumbers and electricians, got quotes on a new kitchen. I spent lunch breaks looking at flooring places, trying to decide what was the best option. I found and followed up Real Estate agents, compared costs, both start up and ongoing.

And now? Now I am finally handing it over. It will be rented out, and hopefully, I won’t have to stress so much.

I’m relieved; I get my life and my savings back. I really can’t believe I’ve managed to do all of this only a few months after turning 21. I wouldn’t say I enjoyed the *whole* process. There were evenings where I would sit and crying wondering how on earth I was going to pay the bills. I freaked out at the idea of coming back from Europe even further in debt. Fortunately, each time, some money came my way and I could breathe a little easier.

I have been truly blessed, with parents that forced me to save, a broker that found the best deal, a government that had grants for first home owners and sheer will that has allowed me to come this far.

So maybe I didn’t have the carefree childhood/young adulthood that other people have, but you know what?

I have a property, and that’s kinda cool.


16 comments:

Alla said...

Wow! I never realised you were 21, you seem a lot older and wiser! That is a fantastic achievement! Its amazing what can happen within a six month period. Quite often I feel the same and look back and am a bit proud and surprised of my achievements and amazed at what can happen in a short amount of time...I haven't got a house yet, and I don't think I am even close to contemplating being a home owner because of my student status, but I do look forward to the days when I can make something mine and do all the reno's etc. I also admire all of my friends (including you!) for making that commitment to obtaining a home/property because I think that is huge! My next big savings mission is to save for a good 3month holiday for this time next year...I know that it will be worth it in the long run but its just the discipline and living like a bit of a hermit until then!
Congratulations again on a fantastic achievement! xoxox

Em said...

People have carefree childhoods & young adulthoods? Bastards! :D

Janice said...

Wow! You must feel pretty carefree now that so much has been done. I feel so happy for you! Congratultions Bambola xxx

Anonymous said...

If you feel like holding off on finding a tenant until next February, that would be great! :P
But seriously, wow, I'm really impressed!

The Snarky Narwhal said...

You're doing fine. As far as I can tell you are living your life well and have come further at such a young age than others have.

xoxo

Holly said...

Kind of? Um, how about really? :)

Anonymous said...

in a way you kind of are still in childhood mode liv. i mean you created a dream castle in a fairy tale kind of way.

my only question is really, why rent?
you worked so hard on it, and i thought it was for yourself?
are you doing it for the money?

xx sorry if thats too personal.
you know i love you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an accomplishment! It must feel great to own a property! I'm still renting.. and probably for another few years, too!

Claudine said...

I'm so proud of you! Keep up the good work. You're amazing...

Anonymous said...

That's amazing that you own property at 21. Amazing and scary.

x

Americanising Desi said...

i have a feelin everythin is for the long run!

the notebook doodles said...

yes yes. congratulations :)

Skye said...

Thanks for the commentaroos.

I never knew where they came from either! I am suprised they are a queensland invention. Who knew. :D I looooooooove the cream ones! So bad but so so good. I think they are an artform. Getting the right balance between sponge and choc I think would be a little harder than it looks? Have you ever tried to make them?

P.s. I am rather proud of you. Your very own place at 21. I wish I was that organised! :D

Athena. said...

Aw, congratulations, I'm so happy for you!
The thought of doing such huge things like this is really daunting for me,
I mean, I know I might only be 14, but golly, time does fly.
I hope you find a fantastic tenant :)
And well done, again!

In reply to your lovely and sweet comment:
Thankyou so much sweet one,
and I hope that everything's going to get better too,
and right back at you, if you ever need to vent, you have my email :)
I ended up writing. It seems to be my way of venting these days. It's pretty much the words I don't have the courage to say to her. I dithered over publishing it for so long,
because I don't want it to seem like I'm having a go at her, I just need to say these things.
Ah, I don't know if that made sense.
But yes, thankyou, your words made me feel much better :)

All my love,
xx

Z Sattar said...

I am amazed to hear that u really own a house/property..... Good job girl at this age...

Girl on Tour said...

Having property is the best thing a single gal can have...esp at this age. It gets harder the older you get as women may decide to have children etc...things get more complicated. Am proud of you sister xxx