01 July 2009

Perception

This is taught in just about every course I’ve been on in the last 3 years. So if they think it’s important enough to tell me a thousand times, I reckon I can pass it on.

Perception is EVERYTHING and should never be underestimated. In a court it will actually take priority over intent.

Two examples:

1 - Your boyfriend is totally in love with you. He tells you all the time, but doesn't do much in the way of showing it. Your perception is that he doesn't really love you, he's just putting the words together. But we both know, from the first sentence, what you see isn't actually the truth.

2 - Life is crazy busy, work is stressing you out, you've not seen your friends in ages and when they talk to you, your answers are short & to the point because you just can't handle having something else to do. They think you're being a bitch. But that wasn't your intention right?

Making sense so far?


This is why friendships fall apart, and why couples become singles. The words you utter are only part of what you’re saying; your posture, tone, facial expressions and behaviour make up the rest. You know the intention behind what you say and do, but sometimes when you add life to the mix and the other person’s circumstances, the message gets mixed up.

So what happens when a friend comes to you and asks, “Why are you being such a bitch?” It's difficult, but don't get defensive. Instead, stop and ask “What on earth makes you think that?” Then, for goodness' sake LISTEN, because, according to them (their perception) you ARE acting like a bitch. End of story. You can argue as much as you like, but their perception, is THEIR REALITY.

Don't make excuses, explain yourself, and yes, you have to. It would be hard for them to put up with you, so you can put up with some self reflection. Are you struggling with something? Is family getting to you? Are they getting to you? Are you going through an antisocial phase? Is it that time of the month? What’s going on to make you act out?

When you explain it to them though, they need to listen too. The other key thing is that you should apologise, this is fundamental. Apologise for how they felt, because really, if you'd hurt a close friend, wouldn’t you be sorry?


I used to hate apologising, for some reason; I saw it as a sign of weakness. But it's actually a sign of acknowledgment and strength. It’s hard work to listen to your faults, especially if you're not aware of them. It’s hard to hear that you’ve hurt a friend. It’s hard to say “I’m so sorry I made you feel like that, I had no idea” but you it needs to be said.

It works both ways, if they can address things with you, you can address things with them too. Don’t be afraid to say, “You know what? When you do/say XYZ that actually makes me feel like 123”. Be careful not to attack the person, make it clear that’s not what you’re doing if they get defensive. Some people aren’t open to criticism and won’t listen to you, no matter how nice you are about it. In these cases, be prepared to let it go. State your case then let it go.

If you do this well enough, your relationships will be SO much stronger because your friends and family know they can address things that are bugging them. And they know you’ll listen.

12 comments:

A BIT COQUETTISH said...

Beautifully said (:

bisous,
La C.

Skye said...

Agreed. So eloquent. :)

And I love your bit about you previously seeing apologies as a sign of weakness. Being stubborn and determined I used to be exactly the same. I guess a part of growing up is knowing when your in the wrong, and being tough enough to admit it. :)

Thanks for your lovely comments. :) Your devine.

Kez said...

I agree 100% :)
I once wrote a post along these lines on an old blog but funnily enough it was misinterpreted.
I swear I expressed all the same sentiments and do you know what happened? My sister in law read it and told my mother in law that I was about to dump my hubby without even telling him (um ok?). Caused family drama and an awkward rift between my sister in law and I that has never really improved(it's not BAD just awkward and I don't think she understands at all who I am - ironic huh).
What the hell? It had nothing to do with my man!

So basically, I want to give you props for being able to say what I wanted to say all that time ago - thanks :)
The meaning of this post is pure and I love that.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I love this post; it has so much truth in it. xo

The Snarky Narwhal said...

hm, true true. I try to warn those close to me when i'm on my month that i'm not in my right mind and I can't be held responsible for what I might say.

Geek Girl said...

well put - here here!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

D. said...

This is a great, great post. So many beautiful relationships are ended because of the lack of communication and although deep down we all know everything you've written, we forget about it all too soon. So thanks.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post ....well done you!!!!!

I still haven't got passed the too-stubborn-to-apologise stage tho ...will I ever?lol!

And yes, we're going to Perth!!!!! I have my heart set on it! We must meet up! You can be my guide ..lol!

Athena. said...

That was beautifully said!
Aha, agreed with pinkapplecore, I warn everyone when I'm at 'that time of the month' and supergrouchy..
More or less, I'm kinda the opposite in that I'll always say sorry, it's made me a bit of a pushover.
Ahh,
x

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! I found myself unconsciously referencing it while drafting my next post. I have discovered, in my latest relationship, how important communication is. I am lucky to have such a patient and understanding boyfriend, who will wait things out until I am ready to discuss them (and usually apologise).

vinny said...

so true.