Read & Seek
:click the pic for the link:
As geeky as it sounds, your local library can be a great way to spend an afternoon. It has pretty much everything a book store has, plus some.
1 : Go to your local library.
2 : Find a good book.
You can investigate a new career, a new hobby a new country, teach yourself a language, get caught up in someone else's story, solve a crime, get swept off your feet, overcome a great adversity...all without leaving your couch.
3 : Check out what they've got organised.
Sometimes they're not that great, but my three Matthew Reilly novels didn't get signed at a book store. They'll usually have a noticeboard with ads for groups, as well as things for sale, lost and found... check it out :)
4 : It doesn't cost anything to sign up, the people are friendly, and you save money.
They'll also hire out magazines, CD's, DVD's, videos, books on tape...you need never spend another dime or dollar on those cheap magazines you only read once!
Note: You don't have to read the book there. Take it to a park, the beach, read it in bed, if you're not a clutz, treat yourself to a nice hot bath and read it there...

2 comments:
I did this yesterday - spent hours in the library reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. It's a beautiful book and my local has really comfy couches :)
I am such a dork... I love libraries and bookshops...when I finished high school and got my first job and car, I used to spend Tues & Thurs nights at the library...oops [believe me though I did have friends that were not ONLY books haha]
Post a Comment