26 November 2008

Pasta Sunday

They should make this an annual holiday!

After seeing the Big Little Brother off too toolies, his first ever long drive, then driving Padre to the airport for his work trip, Mother Dearest and I decided to pay a visit to her mother, and my Nonna.

She had just started grating cheese for a large batch of lasagne. She was so relieved to have company, so we could help of course! This is not a word heavy post. This is the process, in photos. Starting with an outfit photo!

Oh! This floral piece is actually an over top for the "fuller figure" (their words not mine). I belted it in with a stud belt and wore it over my black slip, with black tights and my boots. Felt a little fem-rock-chic. Loved it. Might just have to make the neckline higher on the slip though...


Another badly timed shot...


Me in my hot as apron


Aprons are the new black. Here's MD in hers!
Thanks MD for letting me post this! Isn't she hot folks?


Three different types of cheeses. Romano, "Kraft" (cheddar), Provolone


Me struggling with the pasta machine


Realising we were using the wrong one. Why on earth she kept a broken one, we're still trying to figure out.


Working it so it's softer and then starting over


MD is just SO much better at this than I am. She's had more experience though.


Some artsy shots



Picking bones out of the sauce (which takes three hours to make)


The pasta waiting to be cooked, nice and patient like


The layering process



Grating more cheese because we ran out... yep. We. Ran. Out.


I finally got in and helped out, getting my hands dirty. It's the only way to do it.


Can you see that the pot is pretty much empty? We made two pots the size above, and a small one, about the third of the size, all of it made from scratch.

This process took us about 4 hours. At which point my Uncle came over with some booze.

Needless to say he was welcomed with open arms!

16 comments:

pinkapplecore said...

I love the shot from under side, and i love lasagna! ^. ^

paper-doll said...

holy crap i want some!!!
your outfit is totally rockin.
and your nonna is so adorable!! my granny makes cabage rolls (which i HATE) but they are kind of big deal in our family.

it looks so yummyyy

sparkleandglitter said...

Mmm that looks delicious and a really fun day!

amanda said...

i love that second photo of you! hehe :) i love aprons, i have some awesome ones that i took from my nonna but i never wear them, sadly.

hee, your nonna's pasta table looks exactly the same as mine! (my nonna's, i mean) i love nonnas. just out of curiosity, where does yours live?

& hey mermaid, my nanna used to make cabbage rolls- YUMMMM i love them!

hey, are you into ryan adams? (i always associate ryan adams w/jason mraz, so thought i'd ask) cos he's coming next year & i am def going & tara is maybe, if you'd like to come along! aaaaaaaaand um i forgot. damn, i had another question for you!

caroline said...

i love the brown dress, it's adorable. and it looks like you had a lot of fun making food. i use to do it with my dad or with my friends, it's really cosy and fun!

sar said...

wow that looks so amazingly fun!

vinny said...

homemade lasagna from scratch, impressive. never had the luxury to taste such.

Mel said...

love the floral dress. prettay! and wow to the kitchen, so impressive

Maki said...

Aww you look so cute!

And the past looks so yummy - the real deal!!!

GirlonTour said...

I love it! I hope you pay attention so you can do this for your kids and keep the tradition alive...PS can you send me some...YUM YUM YUM

Em said...

Oh fuck, I need your boots! CHEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

...love Maegan said...

oh that's amazing!!!

I love your outfit too ...the belt is great and I think I have those boots!

CUUUTE!!!

Holly said...

what a task!! and btw, that floral top looks lovely :)

TheMinx said...

looks amazing! And I love the boots you wore :)

Stompface said...

This post has made me hungry!!

love the dress.

oh and the apron.

actually especially the apron.

aprons rock.

LiL. said...

thanks for your comment :) yes, is a German Shepherd :)

i love your dress :):**