12 November 2008

Who WERE You? (Pt 1)

A few events have passed of late. They got me thinking about how things change once you leave school.


While you're there, your status is crucial. You are made up only by external qualities, looks, friends, effort you put in, brands you wear; all of these make up the *high school you*.

When you leave school, no matter where you were in the hierarchy, it's a whole different ball game.
There are more stylish, cooler people to hang out with, less rewards for effort, brands become not so important; whoever you were at high school is now void.

Before I get distracted, this post is not about how you become the new *you*, this is about realising that things have changed. You're thrust into this new world, and as is customary with the human race, we adjust, and we keep adjusting until be become *us*.

I was defined by the following.
1. I tried hard - in the early years, it took me 18 months to realise it gets you no where socially
2. I wasn't horrible to the teachers
3. I enjoyed learning particular subjects
4. I wasn't a dumb arse - therefore I could hold a conversation/discussion (try telling your yr8 science teacher you don't believe in evolution!)
5. I didn't wear the surf brands - this was a crucial part of being part of the 'popular group'
6. I wasn't horrible to other students
7. I hardly ever wore make up - if I did, it wasn't enough
8. Wasn't skinny, wasn't tall, wasn't overly attractive.

What I WAS :
A good friend, a good listener, trustworthy, approachable, a good student, a good person. Do you know what these things get you? A Book Award at your graduation. =D

Who were you? What group were you in? Where did you fit in the scheme of school?

Part 2 of this will be about where you are now.

5 comments:

Writing Backwards said...

I wasn't popular. But I was a bitch, so I didn't get picked on either. And I was really smart. Really, really smart. Like top of the class without doing any homework smart. The teachers hated me. The other kids hated me.

Then I fell pregnant in Yr 12 and kept the baby and now I am known eternally as that girl who couldn't come to graduation because the school said her 7 month bump would look bad in the photos.

pinkapplecore said...

I was quiet, didn't have many friends. I was a good friend, they could always come to me for advise. I never cared for high school mainly because their were people(faculty/students) who thought they had more power than they should and it started to effect me. thats why i started college my junior year and I never went back...grumbles....^. ^ I only kept in touch with 2 people from my graduating class.

...love Maegan said...

this is great. it's funny but some people never re-evalutate who they are now as opposed to who they were then and they continue to act the same. You are aware and wise :)

Te said...

I was the invisible girl most of my five years, which was far better than being the centre of attention in a bad light. Actually I despised highschool, but I think my not so fantastic experience was due to my school's location: the Gold Coast. Packed full of beach bimbo slut clones. Just to stereotype.

Lavender said...

Aw, the cool kids at my school all insisted on wearing surf clothes too... and we didn't even live at the beach.