
Having read Tully, Paullina Simmon's first novel, I'm not sure I was expecting Red Leaves to be what it was. Vastly different from Tully, and a great change of pace.
This is my favourite kind of book. It hooks you in and doesn't let go. I managed to finish it within a week. It was that good.
Told from Kristina's point of view, you get the extra information to tie you over when the detective gets involved. It's absolutely captivating. She spins from one thought to the other. One person to another. One activity to another. She lets you in on her secrets, her demons, the thoughts she doesn't share with anyone else.
When the detective, Spencer, gets involved, it takes on another tone. He is passionate, he's taken her death, and the investigation personally. He too has demons, they morph as he lets you in farther and farther. It's a refreshing change to read a cop that has a heart. They're generally written in to be unfeeling characters. Spencer is the passionate one. He goes beyond what's required to get the answers.
One of the best thing I found, was that the ending fit the novel. It was just as fast paced & gripping as the entire novel.
Told from Kristina's point of view, you get the extra information to tie you over when the detective gets involved. It's absolutely captivating. She spins from one thought to the other. One person to another. One activity to another. She lets you in on her secrets, her demons, the thoughts she doesn't share with anyone else.
When the detective, Spencer, gets involved, it takes on another tone. He is passionate, he's taken her death, and the investigation personally. He too has demons, they morph as he lets you in farther and farther. It's a refreshing change to read a cop that has a heart. They're generally written in to be unfeeling characters. Spencer is the passionate one. He goes beyond what's required to get the answers.
One of the best thing I found, was that the ending fit the novel. It was just as fast paced & gripping as the entire novel.
Clearly I can't rave enough about this book. It is simply fantastic.
5 comments:
Does this book continue the story of Tully? or is it a new story? I haven't read Tully yet, but everytime I'm at the bookstore I always stop and look at it.
I'm reading a book called American Gods by Neil Gaiman, it's really good, so far. I'm a slow reader so it takes me a while to get through books =D
Will have to check it out!
im glad people still read! i will check it out
gotta check it too ! thanks for the hint
I love Paullina Simons - let me know if you wanna borro wthe Bronze Horseman -it's the best thing she has written.
I read Tully when I was about 12 and I'm still a little freaked out by it.
Post a Comment