31 December 2008

Me & My Narcissistic Self

Last weekend, I braved the shopping centre on the Saturday. Loads of people, spending loads of money. I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted, I just wanted to get out of the house.

Reflecting on it now, I call it a social experiment. At the time I think I just wanted to wear something out of the ordinary for me.

I did realise something rather interesting though.

If you wear an outfit, that flaunts your assets, people will look. They will make faces. The people who react the most? Older women. Not the grandmas. The mums.

Is it just me or is that strange?

Excuse my dirty mirror - I must clean that up.

I didn't mind the looks - there's nothing worse than girls in low cut top that glare at you if you stare at what they've got on show.


What blew me away the most was the fact that it was the older women who would be so blatantly obvious they didn't like what you were wearing. Not that they said anything, their faces did that for them. I wasn't even wearing anything "slutty".


You know what? I felt really pretty that day. I don't care what those ladies thought. If they felt as good as I did that day, they wouldn't have been looking & questioning what I wore.

So to the ladies that gave me the funny looks...

hehehe

. If people stare, or make faces, please don't take it to heart. They're the ones who will remember you.

the girl with the cleavage
the girl with the tattoos
the girl with the strange hair
the girl in the crazy outfit

There will always be a reason you don't fit with the norm. That reason makes you, you. The faces they pull may hurt. The audible whispers could make you feel uncomfortable. The turning heads might get to you...

If you let them.

Just remember. It's YOU they're talking about.

They're the ones who will remember you.

Choose not to remember them.

Happy New Years Eve Blogworld. Can't wait to see you in the new year.

2009.

It's our year.

16 comments:

sar said...

wow that top! looks amazing on you! happy new year to you too have fun tomorrow!

Kez said...

People suck. It's always middle aged women. In Thailand (on my honeymoon)I was walking along with my hubby (I'm Asian by appearance but Aussie as all heck and he's white) and the white women tourists gave us so many dirty looks because they thought I was a Thai hooker (I do NOT look Thai and I do NOT look like a hooker)and that the hubby was some Western sleaze looking for it. I got pretty angry and insulted, but then I realised they were the ignoramuses and by spending all their time scowling at me they were wrecking their own holidays!
No-one else batted an eyelid or cared. Weird, huh?

Casey said...

The last part of this post was absolutely beautiful.
All the power to you and your hot, not sleazy!, dress.

ADuu said...

A lovely and beautiful girl.
2009 Happy New Year!!!

Kate @ Très Lola said...

You look gorgeous! I have one rule about stuff like that - one asset at a time. If you're showing cleavage - make sure your legs & midriff are tucked away. That way it stays classy sexy ... which your look totally is... you are so right to say STFU to the faces (it's called jealousy!) xx happy new year!

Anna Pope said...

Your hair looks so great!
I love this look a lot :D

Jenna said...

You have a good New Year's Eve too!

wildandpreciousart said...

hot hot hot. happy new years! I hope 2009 is filled with head turning outfits and feeling pretty. =)

E said...

Is that a dress? It's amazing! This will do nothing to deter 'Bond Girl' comments ;).

yiqin; said...

That top is amazing!!! Happy New Year :)

skgillespie said...

You looked amazing! Good on you for actually realising that and sharing it with us :)

Happy New Year Chickadee, hope all your dreams come true.

beverley said...

haha, screw them! :)

Te said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous cut. I would have stacked up on double sided tape out of paranoia haha. I get really annoyed by double standards, girls with small breasts can wear low tops and nobody really says anything, put someone with a great rack in the same thing and apparently they look 'slutty'. Um...how does that work? But, that said, I usually don't wear anything too low cut because although I don't care about the grumpy old ladies, I do feel uncomfortable when men my father's age stare at me on the tram.

TheMinx said...

I totally agree, you shouldn't care what silly people think. I know and you know that you looked fab, so that's all that matters :) Happy New Year!

Krystal said...

that's quite a sexy dress! happy 09!! x

Em said...

You look amazing missy, and I loove your last pic :D Hehe, im the girl with the tattoos & the weird outfit, for sure!